Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Goodbye Meridian...

Buenos Dias(o tardes, o noches depende en cuando esta leyendo esta carta) Familia y Amigos,

This past week was a great way to finish off my stay in the great area of Meridian. We had a wonderful baptism of Maria Montgomery, on Saturday. It was such a great experience to see her get baptized and it was also great to hear her testimony the next day during sacrament meeting. She has a wonderful story. About a year ago after her husband died, she had no where to live and was trying to find some work by cleaning houses. She was walking down the street with two bags of cleaning supplies and a woman, Cindy, was driving and felt prompted to stop and help. Maria climbed into the car crying because someone was willing to help her in her time of need. After time went by she was introduced to the missionaries and she immediately felt that this is where she needed to be and she felt that an emptiness was filled that she had always felt at the catholic church. I know that she will be a great member and I know that her 3 children will also be able to be baptized very soon and will all be a great addition to the branch.

It was also an experience for me because she wanted me to confirm her, and it was my first time ever confirming someone so I was a little nervous, but I think it went okay and hopefully she enjoyed it.

Another fun thing that happened on Saturday is at 6 in the morning all the missionaries loaded up two buses and drove down to Twin Falls for a special missionary meeting. We had the privilege of hearing from Bishop Mc Mullin, second counselor of the general bishopric, Elder Gonzalez, of the presidency of the seventy, and from Elder Russel M. Nelson, of the quorum of the twelve apostles. It was also such a great experience to hear from Elder Nelson. I have been thinking about the things that he said since we finished the meeting, and this morning I studied Hebrews 11, one of the chapters that he shared with us on faith, so I could better help our investigators understand why faith is so important. It was also great to hear from Bishop McMullin and Elder Gonzalez. It was such an uplifting experience and one that I will not soon forget.

I am grateful for the opportunity I had to serve in Meridian and also now I am serving in Ontario Canada(or Oregon)!!!! It is a Spanglish area, so that means that we cover a few wards in English. Elder Cottam is my new companion and is from Rancho Cucamonga California and has been out of the MTC for a whole six weeks now. He is still a little green but that is okay. He seems to be a bit of a work-a-holic so that is always great. It has been a long time since I have taught a lesson in English and I will need to work on finding scriptures in my English scriptures, but I know that it will all be okay and that Elder Cottam and I will be able to help this area progress.

That is about all that has happened this past week and I am excited to be serving in this area.

Love
Elder Paxton

Here are a few pictures from our trip to Twin Falls...

No comments:

Post a Comment